The modern market offers many practical test case management tools. They all perform similar tasks: help organize, control, track progress and provide visibility of all processes. But each option has unique characteristics. This article describes two outstanding representatives of the software testing market – X-ray and testomat.io To begin with, we will outline their features and complexities and then highlight the notable differences according to several important criteria.
Briefly about the essentials: the key features of Xray and Testomat.io
Xray — high-quality tool for Jira
Xray is probably familiar to many software testers who strive to improve the efficiency of the QA process. It is suitable for test management at every stage of digital product building and working with various test data.
5 key features of the Xray test management tool:
- Real-time test indexing allows monitoring all test steps and finding flaws.
- Reporting on technical issues detected throughout the test cycles that need to be notified to developers.
- Combination with popular frameworks, including Cucumber and JUnit, allows you to work with IT projects of different sizes simultaneously.
- Running processes within Jira, meant to monitor bugs and plan tasks for teams seeking flexibility.
- Pricing plans from $10. Maximum features only if you have a paid subscription, for example, help with customization.
In addition, Xray combines both QA and development. Similar terminology and naming are used, which helps Xray ensure and maintain transparency and consistency of processes.
Depending on the scenarios of use, Xray offers customers three testing solutions:
- Flexible: allowing specialists from different departments (devs and QA team) to work together, expanding DevOps capabilities.
- Automated: centralizing requirements, integrating with CI/CD systems, and supporting BDD.
- Exploratory: for analyzing products from the user’s perspective and identifying hidden risks.
What industries and purposes Xray is suitable for:
- Finance: moving operations into the digital space.
- Healthcare: digital product compliance.
- Technology: bringing new products to market.
The fact that many teams in different industries use Xray does not mean there are no difficulties. After analyzing user feedback, we have identified the weaknesses of the solution.
Here are some pitfalls in using Xray:
- Unavailability of user stories and requirements management.
- Inability to identify and prevent duplicate problems.
- Difficult navigation to run test coverage tests.
- Necessity for better formatting in the execution of the test.
So, Xray can be called a suitable solution for the needs of Agile teams. However, there are some functionality limitations. Extensive customization and support options are only available with Premium Access.
Testomat.io — automation test management
This is one of test automation (АТ) tools aimed at a broad audience. In addition to QA, Dev, and BA departments, even team members with no tech skills can use it confidently. The system has powerful automated testing features and fully supports BDD processes.
5 powerful features that make the tool competitive:
- A single workspace for test automation specialists and manual testers and easy-to-use project dashboards to track team progress.
- Out-Of-The-Box seamless integrations with a wide range of frameworks (Cucumber, TestCafe, Cypress, Playwright, Protractor, etc.), CI\CD, Jira plugin, Slack, etc.
- Detailed reports and visual real-time insights with screenshots, video capture, and other features that provide continuous test results monitoring.
- Emphasis on process flexibility (Shift-left approach) and the ability to work in teams on BDD scenarios and then sync and run them with ease.
- From $0/month. $30/month for unlimited projects. Personalized plans for large teams.
Another important feature is easy import from other TMS: Zephyr, Test Rail, qase. Here you may ask: why does it make sense to change the tool? We will answer it with a brief comparison of one of the options.
Which is better: Testomat.io vs Zephyr?
- There are many reasons to switch to Testomat from Zephyr. Here are some of them:
- Efficient work with Test steps and Test plans.
- Built-in BDD support.
- Integration with many automation frameworks.
- Extended Jira features.
- Tariffs to suit any budget, including free ones.
- Instant analytics.
- Fluid modern UI\UX.
Built in Jira, Zephyr is targeted at testers, automation specialists, scrum masters, and founders. And test management based on Testomat.io is available to everyone, regardless of technical experience. This allows different experts to combine their software testing efforts and boost productivity.
Depending on the goals, Testomat.io offers customers four solutions that are advantageous to use together:
- Automated testing: fast integration of reporting to automate testing processes.
- Test case management: for smart work with test cases: from the creation from scratch to execution and reporting.
- Analytics: for visualizing performance metrics and showing them to colleagues and managers.
- Agile work: for team collaboration based on Jira’s advanced capabilities.
What industries and purposes are these solutions suitable for:
- Technology: maintaining the quality of IT products at every stage of development.
- E-learning: simplifying digital transformation of educational processes.
- Computer and network security: ensuring a high level of security against external threats.
- Entertainment: adapting entertaining digital projects to user requirements and more.
The tool is suitable for teams and projects of different sizes. From small startups (1-2 participants) to medium and large businesses with large-scale initiatives.
Early users noted the intuitive interface, scalability, and convenience of the free account. Some of them expressed their wishes to see more video tutorials on how to work with advanced functionality (branches, pulse, etc.).
Thus, Testomat.io can be called one of the simplest and most convenient TMS. Key features (from the support of all kinds of tests to integration with CI/CD) are available for free use. And most importantly, it easily integrates to any automated testing process. This speaks to its powerful competitive advantages.
7 comparison points of Testomat.io and Xray
Let’s look at the tools by important criteria that directly affect usability, efficiency, and economy of use.
|1. Purpose||TMS for automated tests||Tool for native quality management|
|2. Key opportunities||Team management
|Track tests in real-time
Native BDD support
Integration with agile processes
Requirements linked to test cases
|4. Options and objectives||Automated tests
Report & Analytics
|5. Target users||IT specialists (BA, Dev, QA) and non-tech stakeholders.||QA and Dev departments.|
|6. Project and team types||One-man projects, SMB, startups, large businesses, and teams.||Projects of different sizes, up to large scale with large codebases.|
|7. Pricing||3 plans with monthly or annual payment (10% savings):
||From $10, depending on the number of users.
Summary: Make the right choice ✅
Every test management tool on the market deserves attention. Your task is to choose the one that suits the requirements of your project and team. Both products are suitable for establishing cooperation between different specialists. However, Testomat is better than Xray in terms of versatility, functionality, and ease of use, even for citizen users.