Some teams are so used to working with projects in Jira that they want to test the software product using this system as well. However, this is extremely problematic without integration with specialized test management tools (follow through link 👆) we considered this topic aside. The point is that the bug-tracking system is not designed for testing. If you try to set it up for quality control processes, including managing test plans in Jira, you will encounter the following difficulties:
- Limited reuse of the task to manage test suites. In Jira, all completed tasks get the Done status. You cannot return to them again, even if you need to run a regression test or test a new function with changed configuration parameters.
- Unable to perform automated testing. The official Atlassian documentation for their bug-tracking system says that you can configure it to perform manual tests. As for automated testing, you can’t do it in Jira without integration with specialized software.
Do you work in Jira and want to use the potential of this software product to 100%? Consider the best Test Management Tools, which, when integrated with Jira as a bug-tracking system, moreover QA team collaboration tool to make testing digital solutions as convenient and efficient as possible.
What requirements ideal Jira test management should meet?
- Meet your test process
- Meet bug lifecycle
Test management system testomat.io allows you to combine work on manual and automated test cases in one place. The tool aims to meet one of the primary needs of modern development as much as possible: technical and non-technical specialists working together on a project.
This test management tool is most suitable for Agile teams regardless of the company size because the system allows you to organize the perfect Agile workflow of the entire testing process in a few clicks. From creating or importing test cases to generating reports on test results – in real-time or at the end of a test run. Create a fully transparent process to reduce quality assurance time and get your premium product to market quickly.
TMS supports two-way integration with Jira through advanced Jira plugin.
All changes made in the Jira project, including those related to test plans in Jira, will be immediately displayed in testomat.io and vice versa – you can work with test cases while in the bug tracking system.
Thanks to this, developers and stakeholders can fully participate in testing in a familiar tool.
Other features of Testomat.io:
- Import tests from source code, third-party TMS, or CSV/XLS document and continue to work with them.
- Add manual test cases using customizable steps and fields, as well as the smart auto-complete steps feature.
- Create test suites based on test type, priority, or functionality.
- Search for a test by name, result, or assigned tag to make it easy to find the test you’re looking for.
- Track test history with reports and analytics and Living docs, which provide access to real-time test information.
- Work with classic test cases and BDD tests. Convert classic tests to BDD in one click, thanks to Gherkin syntax support.
- Edit the test case you want or use the mass editing feature.
- Set up integration with CI/CD tools.
- Create Jira tasks from the TMS and track test results and defect fixes without switching between tools.
Xray is a test management tool that provides the ability to plan, write and run tests as well as generate detailed test reports. The system uses Jira tasks to handle test cases, which will differ for each test step.
Modern Agile teams widely use the tool due to its full integration with the Jira project management system, Xray significantly simplifies the process of handling test plans in Jira, making it a preferred tool for modern Agile teams. You can set up automated testing to increase the team’s productivity and improve the quality of the released product.
- Customize individual fields, screens, and the testing process based on project-specific requirements.
- Organize test cases into test suites, folders, and test plans.
- Write classic and BDD scenarios directly in the project management system.
- Control test progress with detailed reports, interactive charts, and dashboards.
- Benefit from integration with various test automation environments (e.g., Selenium), DevOps, and CI tools (Bamboo, Jenkins, etc.).
- Import tests from JSON and CSV files.
TestRail is a test management tool that allows the QA team and developers to work on manual and automated testing of the software being created. On this platform, as in the previously described case, you can plan and execute tests, as well as monitor their results at the end of the test run and online.
The integration of TestRail with Jira provides the ability to manage tests from the bug tracking system: track related Jira Issues in TestRail and send reports of detected bugs from TestRail to Jira.
- Use this TMS to work on projects using the Waterfall or Agile model.
- Structure test cases by organizing them into folders and sections and create test suites using built-in templates, fields, and statuses.
- Increase and monitor test coverage.
- Create test plans.
- Set up integration with CI/CD tools.
- View reports on the testing run in test environments that use the TestRail API (Selenium, Cypress, Cucumber, etc.).
Requirements and Test Management TestRail features:
RTM is a digital QA process management solution that allows you to work with Jira cloud projects. Working with this tool, testers get access to the entire functionality of the bug-tracking system. This ensures full integration of testing with requirements, development, and reports.
- Create requirements and link them to test cases.
- Use reusable test plan templates.
- Import test cases from other test management tools.
- Organize test cases into folders and use the easy navigation to find the right one.
- Create detailed reporting, including traceability matrix, test coverage, and test case execution reports.
Also read to this subject:
Zephyr software products are test management solutions from which you can choose what best suits your team, depending on its size. Three versions of the tool are available to users:
🔹 Zephyr Squad for a quick test start;
🔹 Zephyr Scale for large-scale testing;
🔹 Zephyr Enterprise for team collaboration.
This tool provides the ability to run manual and automated tests in Jira. Zephyr Squad would be an ideal solution for small teams that are just starting to practice test management.
Product Zephyr Squad features:
- Set up integration with Continuous Integration tools and BDD frameworks.
- Get detailed reports on a single project.
The Zephyr Scale platform is an alternative to the previous version of the product, preferred by growing teams that work simultaneously on several projects.
Zephyr Scale Tool features:
- Study test results in detailed cross-project reports, including real-time.
- Plan test runs.
- Use an extended repository of test cases.
- Get the ability to reuse tests.
- Set up integration with BDD and CI tools.
This solution enables testing at the organizational level. It fully integrates with any product already used in the company and allows multiple teams to work together on a project.
Zephyr Enterprise features:
- Use test cases repeatedly across multiple projects and releases.
- Combine the work of multiple teams regardless of the development methodology used. For example, Agile and Waterfall teams can work together in the system.
- Assign user roles and organize user communication in a common backbone.
- Get real-time information about the progress of testing.
Tricentis is a test management platform that allows you to plan, track and monitor test results directly in your project management system. The tool features an intuitive user interface and enables business, management, and technical specialists to work on the project as a team.
Another advantage of the platform is its broad scalability. As your team expands, your test management solution will remain just as effective.
- Save test statuses, test plans, and detailed reports in the bug-tracking system for all team members to access.
- Easily navigate through many tests with easy filtering by creation date, owner, version, etc.
- Assess risks and control errors with built-in reports.
- Use Jira issues to define test cases and requirements.
- Prioritize test execution and assign responsibilities.
PractiTest is a test management platform where you can work with Jira Issues and report errors detected during testing to your project management system. You can use Atlassian products of the Jira Cloud, Jira Server, or Jira Software Data Center versions; regardless of your choice, the error-tracking system will be permanently integrated with PractiTest.
- View reports on test results, test runs, and detected defects; the TMS makes it quick and easy to generate them.
- Link a Jira Issue to a failed test run.
- Add any information to the Jira Issue, including attachments, and review it in PractiTest. Similarly, access all TMS changes from Jira.
- Synchronize the Jira Issue with the PractiTest request and create a test to cover it.
- Reuse the tests if needed, and improve team productivity and efficiency.
TestMo is a test suite management tool that features flexible settings and integration with third-party systems you use and aims to improve the productivity of development and testing teams. Tool users have access to scalable repositories for effective test management and complete information about the progress and result of a test run.
- Perform exploratory testing; create, run, and adjust tests based on the behavior of your digital solution.
- Manage test sessions, import tests, and assign tags, all to speed up the release of the finished software product.
- Leave detailed notes to record information about detected defects.
- Explore test reports in the same system, regardless of which testing tools you use.
Testpad is a platform designed to manage manual testing. It offers a unique approach: working with test cases in an integrated way instead of managing them individually. You can increase team productivity and eliminate the chaos that can arise when working with spreadsheets.
- Create structured checklists for maximum efficiency in manual testing.
- Explore visual reports with grids of results.
- Write BDD scripts with Gherkin syntax highlighting.
- Perform exploratory testing by managing it with a high-level feature list.
- Export test scripts and test results in CSV format.
- Attach screenshots and other files to show that the results meet the original product requirements.
- Use the tagging system and filters to find and execute specific tests.
Juno is a comprehensive solution used for software development, bug-tracking, project management, and test automation. It supports full integration with Jira and allows you to write, organize, run and track test cases.
Features of Juno as a test management tool:
- Create and save test cases, match test cases to requirements.
- Plan and execute tests.
- Create reports on test results.
- Set up integration with CI tools (e.g., Jenkins).
- Manage automated testing using the Automate module.
XStudio is positioned in the market as a test management software solution that helps deliver quality digital solutions throughout its application lifecycle management (ALM). Teams choose it for its flexibility and scalability.
- Manage releases by covering requirements and tests.
- Perform automated, manual, or exploratory testing.
- Schedule test execution using test campaigns and sessions. Combine them to simplify the analysis of results.
- Benefit from the support of more than 90 test environments.
- Track test results with detailed reports that include clear infographics.
SpiraTest is a testing, requirements, and bug-tracking management system that supports QA processes in all phases of the product lifecycle. By integrating this tool with Jira, you can bring development and testing teams together to work on a common project.
- Track the testing process in real-time.
- Control the quality of your project work with metrics for requirements coverage and test case completion.
- Add a detected defect to Jira and track the status of its correction by developers.
- Submit Jira Issues to the TMS.
ReQtest is a cloud-based solution that provides users with a simple test management process. You only need a browser to access the platform. Integration with the bug-tracking system allows you to perform testing in a familiar tool, easily synchronizing data with the TMS.
- Write test cases, group them into test runs and sets, assign responsible specialists.
- Visualize test results with charts.
- Create defect reports and add screenshots to them.
- Get work progress data in a format accessible to all stakeholders.
- Set up integration with third-party cloud tools.
QMetry is a test management system that allows its users to significantly improve the efficiency of QA processes through its extensive functionality.
- Import and export test cases in one click.
- Perform exploratory testing.
- Reuse test cases, reducing the time and effort required.
- Customize the integration of BDD frameworks and CI/CD tools.
- Create traceability reports to monitor test case execution and found defects.
- Use graphical reports to visualize test results.
- Customize the fields you need to collect important information about the test run.
Testlink is a tool for creating and managing test cases, requirements, and plans. It provides transparency of the process for all team members and, when integrated with Jira, makes testing more efficient in a familiar system.
- Create reports on the results of each test run and cross-project reports.
- Link test suites to Jira Issues like BUGs.
- Perform manual and automated testing with a single tool.
- Import test cases from CSV/XML files or other TMS.
- Create and compare multiple versions of test cases.
- Use a repository of test cases for different sprints, releases, and projects.
- Re-run the tests.
- Track the progress of test execution by capturing its step-by-step history.
Pay attention to the TMS listed in this article if you work with the Jira project management system and want to use it for software testing. Many of them are still used by QA professionals out of habit because they have been on the market for quite a long time (for example, TestRail test management was created in 2004).
However, you should also pay attention to more advanced platforms that have appeared relatively recently but have already gained popularity due to a wide range of features and functions. One such tool is testomat.io best choice for your automated tests. Its two-way integration with Jira allows you to work with test cases in the bug-tracking system and create Jira tasks from the TMS.
Build a single space for all team members to collaborate and increase productivity and efficiency of work processes with Us.